Monday, February 22, 2010

When I was in college I was required to volunteer in order to receive a passing grade for one of my college courses. I decided to volunteer at a "no-kill" animal shelter. To be honest, I did this more for the self interest of a passing grade. I was young and naive and it wasn't long before I realized it was the hardest but most rewarding work I had ever done. I scrubbed, hosed, scooped, walked and fed countless dogs. Down deep inside I truly felt sorry for these animals because they had no voice and relied on us to care for them. The most valuable lesson I took from volunteering was that I made a difference to a living creature. I didn't expect a pat on the back from anyone but I was content to know that I helped a facility that was looking out for the best interest of these animals. I developed a sense of inner gratitude and respect for all living creatures. Have you volunteered lately? It will do wonders to your community and your heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment