Thursday, February 11, 2010

Dachshund breed ranked 8th in AKC

Welcome Doxie Lovers! I am glad to be part of this group and blog about Doxies and everything in between. So, I sit here and think. What should this first blog be about? I did some little research and I just read the American Kennel Club announced in a statement on January 27, 2010, the Dachshund breed ranked 8th in the top ten breeds in America for 2009. I am happy to read that the dachshund breed still remains high in popularity. After all, how can you resist a weiner? I did some more reading to learn the history of the Dachshund breed . Dachshunds were bred in the 1600's in Germany. The purpose of the Dachshund's elongated body was to dig into the badger's burrows and hunt. The breed lost it's popularity after WWI but breeders imported the breed from Germany into the US and slowly rebuilt the gene pool. The Dachshund was recognized by the AKC in 1885.

No comments:

Post a Comment