Friday, March 5, 2010

Empty Nest Dog

I went to the dentist yesterday and as I waited I read a story titled "Empty Nest Dog". The title immediately caught my eye. The writer mentioned all the dogs she had throughout her life and now her kids were out of the house and she had her empty nest dog. The story made me realize about the dogs I have had throughout my life. First there was Petey, a perky and smart French Poodle. I had him during my junior high school years. Unfortunately, Petey was hit by a car and died instantly. My mom waited a few years before deciding in giving me another dog. After endless begging, she gave in. I was 19 yrs old and then came Mickey, a rambunctious Cocker Spaniel.

I know realized how well Mickey trained me for motherhood. The whimpering and wailing puppy stage moments and how I can forget the potty training incidents and accidents. And lastly, the constant gnawing and chewing of shoes and the garden hose and the ear infections. Mickey drove me up the wall. He was loud and obnoxious, but so adorable. I wanted to give up on Mickey many times but I remained loyal because he was always loyal to me. Mickey lived a happy life and I enjoyed his teachings and endless love. I put him down right before my 30th birthday. He was very sick and it was time to put him to rest. I was only a just a few months away from delivering my first baby and his passing was very difficult for me

We don't have a dog right now. But I know the day is coming when my girls get old enough and beg for a dog. Will I cave in? The answer is still uncertain. But I do think I might cave in when I hit the empty nest because coming to a empty and quiet home doesn't sound so inviting.

No comments:

Post a Comment